Frequently asked questions

What does a clinical psychologist do?

Clinical psychologists have extensive training in assessing a range of psychological difficulties and determining the most appropriate form of help, as well as being trained in providing more than one type of therapy.

Therapists and counsellors, on the other hand, usually specialise in providing one particular type of therapy, like psychodynamic psychotherapy, or counselling, or cognitive behaviour therapy. If you know what form of therapy would be most likely to help your problem, you might go directly to see a therapist or a counsellor.
See for more information.

What’s the difference between counselling and therapy/psychotherapy?

Counselling and psychotherapy are terms that are often used interchangeably. There are similarities but some differences.   Counselling is usually quite brief and focussed on a particular problem or situation. Psychotherapy usually is a longer term intervention focussing on more chronic difficulties and a more in-depth approach is taken.

How much do you charge?

This is dependent on the service being requested. Price for an initial assessment/consultation is £100 with subsequent session charges starting at £75. We can offer packages at reduced rates (e.g. block of six sessions for the cost of five).

Please contact us for a quote.

We can operate a sliding scale if finance is an issue and we do not charge for initial telephone contact and discussion regarding your requirements so please contact us for an informal chat, free of charge.

Where are you based?

We do not have an office base but try to meet with clients at a place that is convenient to them. This can sometimes be in the client’s home. We also use therapy rooms at The Ellesmere Centre in Hull and can book rooms at other locations in the local area.

We work mainly in the Hull and East Yorkshire region but are happy to travel outside of this area but additional costs may be incurred.